Love is in the air
From kissing gates to love seats, we have the perfect gift to set your valentine’s heart racing. And while you’re deciding, here’s the lowdown on the special day lovers love.
1. Valentine’s Day began in Ancient Rome with Lupercalia, a pagan fertility festival.
2. It’s celebrated in the middle of February because people thought this was when birds started mating. And now you know why doves mean love.
3. Saint Valentine was more than one person (including a Pope).
4. Around the 1700s cards and letters became big love news.
5. Today, the most popular gift is…flowers.
6. Thank Richard Cadbury for the first Valentine’s Day box of chocolates in 1868.
7. Verona in Italy gets around 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet on Valentine’s Day – the setting for Shakespeare’s Romeo & Juliet.
8. Cupid is the son of Venus. Venus was the god of beauty and love. Now we’re clear.
9. Penicillin was introduced on February 14th, 1929. It’s saved many lovers lives.
10 On Valentine`s Day, 1876, Alexander Graham Bell applied for the telephone patent. “You put the phone down first, no you put it down, no you…”
Love from everyone at Bright’s.